Best performing super funds, Aged care planning, Maximise your Age Pension, Best time to retire, Death benefits
Highlights of the July 2019 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- SUPER FUND PERFORMANCE: Find out how the median super funds performed over the last financial year, and who were the best performing super funds over one year and 10 years.
- THE BEST TIME TO RETIRE: Choosing when you retire can ultimately have a big impact on your retirement savings, so before you flick the switch to pension phase, we look at a few issues and strategies to consider. In a separate article we list the five questions you need to ask if you’re thinking of retiring in the next 12 months.
- AGED CARE PLANNING: Bina Brown walks us through what to consider when planning for the later stages of retirement.
- PROPORTIONING RULE AND SUPER TAX: What it is and why does it matter? The proportioning rule can impact retirement income, because it can influence the effectiveness of many superannuation retirement strategies in relation to tax. Find out what you need to know in this in-depth article.
- 12 TIPS TO HELP MAXIMISE YOUR AGE PENSION: Regan Welburn shares his top tips to get the most out of your Age Pension. In a separate article, Barbara Drury looks at the recent deeming rate changes and whether they are fair for pensioners.
- WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR SMSF WHEN YOU GO OVERSEAS? Want to live, travel or work in another country? Make sure you’re across the residency rules and what else you need to take into consideration before you pack your passport.
- HOW TO MAKE YOUR SUPER MORE SOCIALLY AWARE: If you care about responsible investing, check out our article on how to be sure your super and SMSF is backing ethical investments.
As we look back over the 2018/19 financial year, it was a year in two halves.Read more
When we plan for life after retirement, we can often tend to focus on saving for a comfortable standard of living and travel. It can be difficult to factor in anything other than a happy and healthy journey as we get older, even if we know the reality can be very different.Read more
What do you do if you’re working in the gig economy and want to build up a super nest egg?Read more
Gone are the days when ethical investing existed on the periphery of investment management and the debate centred around whether or not environmental, social and governance (ESG) focussed funds could actually perform as well as mainstream funds.Read more
A recent court case, known as the Narumon case, demonstrates how important it is for self-managed super fund (SMSF) trustees to ensure their documentation is up-to-date, and that binding death benefit nominations are valid.Read more
An easy way to determine if you believe your super fund is good value, is to assess the cost of your super fund against the average costs for the different types of super funds available.Read more
SUPER FUND PERFORMANCE
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing Balanced super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. Balanced funds have 41-60% invested in growth assets.Read more
Discover the top 10 performing Growth super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. Growth funds have 61-80% invested in growth assets.Read more
In this article we report median super fund performance for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years, up to 30 June 2021 and across five different investment options.Read more
Retiring is a huge step and it would be normal if you have some last-minute details to sort through before you make the final leap.Read more
Financial barriers to retirement have eased a little since July 1, with increased super contributions caps, but retirees will have to wait for a relaxation of the work test.Read more
While the exact number is hard to pin down, various industry estimates put the total number of Australian retirees who are now living overseas at around 90,000, a figure which has risen steadily in recent years.Read more
There are many strategies you can employ to ensure that you’re making the most of your Age Pension, and in this article we’ll showcase some of the best options that may assist you.Read more
The Federal Government has finally bowed to pressure to cut pension deeming rates but stopped short of passing on the full cut in official interest rates.Read more
As official interest rates drop to a record low of 1%, Age Pensioners who depend on income from cash investments face a double whammy. Not only do they receive less income from their bank deposits as interest rates fall, but they also risk losing some pension because they are deemed to earn more than they do.Read more
Under the deeming rules, you are ‘deemed’ to earn a certain annual rate of return on your financial assets, regardless of the rate of return you actually earn.Read more
SUPER DEATH BENEFITS
There are at least 5 different types of death benefit nomination to choose from if you want to decide who will get your super death benefit.Read more
The tax on your super death benefit can be tricky to understand, but it’s important to know what’s what so your beneficiaries don’t end up paying too much tax.Read more
Having your super pension automatically revert to your spouse can be an easy way to ensure your spouse’s financial situation is taken care after your death.Read more
When it comes to your super benefits, tax is always at the heart of it, whether it’s when you make a contribution, or when you take your money out at the other end.Read more