Best performing super funds, Aged care planning, Maximise your Age Pension, Best time to retire, Death benefits
Highlights of the July 2019 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- SUPER FUND PERFORMANCE: Find out how the median super funds performed over the last financial year, and who were the best performing super funds over one year and 10 years.
- THE BEST TIME TO RETIRE: Choosing when you retire can ultimately have a big impact on your retirement savings, so before you flick the switch to pension phase, we look at a few issues and strategies to consider. In a separate article we list the five questions you need to ask if you’re thinking of retiring in the next 12 months.
- AGED CARE PLANNING: Bina Brown walks us through what to consider when planning for the later stages of retirement.
- PROPORTIONING RULE AND SUPER TAX: What it is and why does it matter? The proportioning rule can impact retirement income, because it can influence the effectiveness of many superannuation retirement strategies in relation to tax. Find out what you need to know in this in-depth article.
- 12 TIPS TO HELP MAXIMISE YOUR AGE PENSION: Regan Welburn shares his top tips to get the most out of your Age Pension. In a separate article, Barbara Drury looks at the recent deeming rate changes and whether they are fair for pensioners.
- WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR SMSF WHEN YOU GO OVERSEAS? Want to live, travel or work in another country? Make sure you’re across the residency rules and what else you need to take into consideration before you pack your passport.
- HOW TO MAKE YOUR SUPER MORE SOCIALLY AWARE: If you care about responsible investing, check out our article on how to be sure your super and SMSF is backing ethical investments.
As we look back over the 2018/19 financial year, it was a year in two halves.Read more
When we plan for life after retirement, we can often tend to focus on saving for a comfortable standard of living and travel. It can be difficult to factor in anything other than a happy and healthy journey as we get older, even if we know the reality can be very different.Read more
What do you do if you’re working in the gig economy and want to build up a super nest egg?Read more
Gone are the days when ethical investing existed on the periphery of investment management and the debate centred around whether or not environmental, social and governance (ESG) focussed funds could actually perform as well as mainstream funds.Read more
A recent court case, known as the Narumon case, demonstrates how important it is for self-managed super fund (SMSF) trustees to ensure their documentation is up-to-date, and that binding death benefit nominations are valid.Read more
An easy way to determine if you believe your super fund is good value, is to assess the cost of your super fund against the average costs for the different types of super funds available.Read more
SUPER FUND PERFORMANCE
QSuper and UniSuper share the top spot for 2018/19, returning 9.9%, well ahead of the third placed MediaSuper with 8.8%. Unlike the previous year when industry funds took out all top 10 positions, retail fund IOOF (+8.2%) entered the list at number 7.Read more
The gold medal goes to AustralianSuper, the country’s largest super fund, with an average annual return of 9.8% per year for the last 10 years.Read more
In this article you can find super fund performance for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years, up to the latest financial year and across five different investment options. We’re grateful to Chant West for providing the statistics in this article.Read more
In this article you can discover the investment performance for 12 different asset classes over various timeframes. For all asset classes there is data for 1, 3 and 5 financial years, and for most asset classes there is also data over 7, 10 and 15 financial years.Read more
Retiring is a huge step and it would be normal if you have some last-minute details to sort through before you make the final leap.Read more
If you’re retiring this financial year it pays to think about possible timing issues before you start drawing down on your superannuation.Read more
While the exact number is hard to pin down, various industry estimates put the total number of Australian retirees who are now living overseas at around 90,000, a figure which has risen steadily in recent years.Read more
Self-managed super fund (SMSF) members have a number of options in terms of how to treat their fund when they head overseas. The time they intend to be away is a key factor to consider, as is how many of the SMSF’s members are moving overseas and their percentage of the beneficial interests.Read more
There are many strategies you can employ to ensure that you’re making the most of your Age Pension, and in this article we’ll showcase a selection of options that may assist.Read more
The Federal Government has finally bowed to pressure to cut pension deeming rates but stopped short of passing on the full cut in official interest rates.Read more
As official interest rates drop to a record low of 1%, Age Pensioners who depend on income from cash investments face a double whammy. Not only do they receive less income from their bank deposits as interest rates fall, but they also risk losing some pension because they are deemed to earn more than they do.Read more
On 22 March 2020 the Federal government announced that from 1 May 2020 the deeming rates would be lowered to 0.25% (lower rate) and 2.25% (upper rate).Read more
SUPER DEATH BENEFITS
If you have a valid will in place when you die, most of us assume it’s simply a matter of our executors taking care of all the paperwork and paying out our remaining assets to our beneficiaries in the proportions listed in the will.Read more
When you die, the tax man can be pretty quick to put his hand out to take his cut, and this also applies to the balance of your super account.Read more
When you retire, there are lots of decisions to make about whether to take a lump sum or start an account-based pension. You also need to decide how you would like the remaining balance of your super account to be distributed when you die.Read more
When it comes to your super benefits, tax is always at the heart of it, whether it’s when you make a contribution, or when you take your money out at the other end.Read more
In case you missed it
Read our Super Guide for the 2019/2020 financial year, covering the key rules, regulations, rates and thresholds for the 2019/2020 financial year.
Stay up-to-date with a SuperGuide Premium subscription
Get all the essential information on current rules, rates and thresholds in one place – and from an independent perspective. Also learn what are the top performing super funds, how to run an SMSF, how much super is enough, the latest super rates and thresholds, contributions guides, and new super measures and strategies.
Includes more than 500 articles, how-to guides, checklists, tips, calculators, case studies, quizzes and a monthly newsletter.
Find out more