Super and pension fund rankings, Super rules for all ages, Super tips for EOFY, SMSF Q&As with the ATO, Looking beyond dividends for income, ‘Safe’ pension withdrawal rates
Highlights of the May 2020 edition of the SuperGuide newsletter include:
- SUPER FUND RETURNS FOR APRIL: After a dismal February and March, super fund returns staged a partial rebound in April. While funds are still on course for a negative return this financial year, the damage may not be as bad as many feared.
- TOP SUPER AND PENSION FUNDS: Have you been wondering how your super is doing compared with other funds? Well now you can find out thanks to our fund rankings by quartile performance over various time frames.
- ACT YOUR AGE: The way you interact with your super will depend in part on your age and stage of life. So we have pulled together the rules that apply to you each decade from your teens to your 70s, and how to make the most of them.
- EOFY SUPER TIPS: It’s been an extraordinary year, leaving some people with savings to invest and others with a cash shortfall to cover. So this year it’s more important than ever to do a super and tax stocktake ahead of June 30.
- SMSF Q&As WITH THE ATO: Dana Fleming, Assistant Commissioner of the SMSF Segment at the ATO answers questions from SuperGuide readers about COVID-19 issues, including early release of super process, providing rental concessions for tenants and the change to the minimum pension drawdown rates.
- THE SEARCH FOR INCOME: First it was record-low interest rates. Now the big banks and other companies are cutting dividends. Where can investors turn for income? We uncover some alternatives.
- WHAT IS A SAFE PENSION WITHDRAWAL RATE: The government has temporarily halved minimum pension withdrawal rates in response to the impact of the coronavirus on super pension account balances. But are our minimum withdrawal rates sustainable? We cover the debate over ‘safe’ withdrawal rates.