IMPORTANT: SuperGuide does not provide financial advice. Comments provided by readers that may include information relating to tax, superannuation or other rules cannot be relied upon as advice. SuperGuide does not verify the information provided within comments from readers. Readers need to seek independent advice about their personal circumstances.


  1. Ramakant Duggal says:

    Hi Trish,

    I did some ‘googling’ and found this clear answer to my question of access to super at 55 over.

    I have some questions. I am living overseas since the year 2000 – Singapore, Dubai and Bangkok. I am still working so can’t claim retirement, hence TRIP seems to be a good thing.

    My Q’s are :

    1. I realise the posts in here are from 2011, hope it is not too stale to post these Q’s. Is TRIP still a legit way to access super after 55 ?

    2. How do I go about applying for TRIP ? Can I do it while overseas or does it require a trip home ?

    3. Are there any consultants/advisors who might get teh paperwork rolling for me ?

    4. How do I know which is the “preserved” portion and which part can I withdraw ?

    The total amount in my super is just below 100k. It is not going to go far towards retirement if and when I return to Oz (which is very doubtful in my case).

    Much appreciate any answers.



  2. TRPI?

    Calculation how?

  3. Hi Trish
    I am turning 55 with $380,000 currently in super and my bank has suggested we take the 10% per annum option and use it towards paying off our $160,000 mortgage. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Leave a Comment