Age Pension increase, How to read your super statement, Risk and diversification, latest super news and performance
Highlights of the September 2019 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- AGE PENSION INCREASE: The Age Pension rates increase from 20th September. We detail the new rates and thresholds and our Age Pension calculator has been updated so you can estimate how much you may now be entitled for. You can even test your Age Pension knowledge with our new quiz.
- HOW TO READ YOUR SUPER STATEMENT: Millions of Australians will soon be receiving their annual super statement. We list what you should check to make sure your super is working for you.
- 5 WAYS SEQUENCING RISK IMPACTS YOUR RETIREMENT: If you’re close to retiring, you need to understand about sequencing risk and what you can do to mitigate it. In a separate article Barbara Drury gives you some ideas on what to do if the market crashes when you are in or nearing retirement.
- INVESTMENT RISK AND DIVERSIFICATION: Risk is part of life and investing. It’s necessary but with some knowledge you can use it to your advantage. In separate articles we look at nine key investment risks and how the big super funds diversify.
- SUPER STRATEGIES AFTER LOSING YOUR SPOUSE: WHAT ARE THE RULES? Nobody wants to plan for loss but putting a strategy into place now can make a difficult time easier and more financially secure.
- LATEST SUPER NEWS AND PERFORMANCE: We provide a snapshot of the key super news for September, and the median super fund performance to the end of August.
These are challenging times for investors, especially if you’re about to retire or already drawing on your super.Read more
Find out about the dangers of sequencing risk and strategies that can help defend against it.Read more
Australians want financial advice but are suspicious of the costs and integrity of financial advisers. With numbers of financial advisors falling and the increasing cost of advice, where does that leave us?Read more
Increasingly, there’s no such thing as a typical retirement. We talk to three different people whose retirement turned out a lot differently than they planned for.Read more
Making decisions about money at an emotionally difficult time can be challenging. Putting in place strategies when you are both fit and well can help in the future. We look at three different scenarios that can help save you money and may reduce tax liability.Read more
How to make sure the people you love get the inheritance you had planned for them.Read more
We look at the rules that apply if you change your mind about heading back to employment after retiring.Read more
Super for Aussie workers has come a long way in the last 150 years. We look at the highs and lows of super since it was first put in place to see if it still stacks up.Read more
This month we look at rising mortgage stress for retirees, Fat Cat Funds results, the suburbs with the most unclaimed super and the Better Retirement Outcomes report on super balances.Read more
Checking your annual super fund statement is important. Here are 10 key points you need to review to ensure your super fund is working hard for you.Read more
Knowledge, as they say, is power. Find out the ways your super can be impacted by risk so you can, where possible, reduce your exposure.Read more
Super funds continued their positive run in January despite challenging conditions on global markets.Read more
The surprisingly strong share market rally from April through to August resulted in strong positive returns for all Lifecycle cohorts during that period.Read more
Diversification can be one the biggest protections against investment risk. We look at how smaller investments can learn from what the big funds do.Read more
We look at two strategies that can help boost your SMSF and reduce your taxable income.Read more
Is it a good idea to have a family SMSF? We look at the pros and cons of being a family that saves together.Read more
MDA’s are increasingly popular – we look at what they can offer and what situations they can really work in.Read more
AGE PENSION – NEW RATES AND THRESHOLDS
Age Pension rates increased on 20 March 2020. This article also explains how the Age Pension works, and includes the latest Age Pension rates for residents, non-residents, and the transitional Age Pension.Read more
Our Age Pension calculator gives you an indication of potential Age Pension entitlements. The Age Pension rates are those that apply from 20 March 2020 to 19 September 2020.Read more
A common question for those nearing or in retirement is “How much can a pensioner earn before it affects the pension?”.Read more
This article details the rules and limits of the Age Pension assets test (how much your savings and other assets are worth), which is one half of the means test (along with the income test) that determines how much Age Pension you could be eligible for.Read more
Take our 10-question quiz to test your knowledge on the Age Pension rules.Read more