Super and contributions strategies, SMSFs and ETFs, Quiz time, Latest returns
Welcome to the NOVEMBER 2018 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter. Highlights include:
- SUPER STRATEGIES: Many super laws, rates and thresholds changing depending on your age. It pays to be on top of these and plan appropriate strategies around them.
- CONTRIBUTIONS STRATEGIES: We take an in-depth look at salary sacrificing and the bring-forward rule, as well as lesser known strategies such as tax-deductible contributions and reducing capital gains.
- ETFs: These are increasing in popularity with SMSF investors, particularly because they are a low-cost way to diversify. Robert Barnes reports on the 20 ETFs that are most popular with SMSFs.
- QUIZ TIME: Test your knowledge with our two quizzes on planning for retirement and boosting your super. Each quiz is 10 questions (multiple choice) and we point you to SuperGuide articles where you can get the answer.
- INVESTMENT RETURNS: October was a difficult month for investors, and the median growth fund lost 3% in value. Find out how super funds are tracking so far this financial year.
ETFs provide SMSFs with an easy and cost-effective means of gaining exposure to international assets, and other harder-to-access asset classes such as emerging markets. This article lists the 20 most popular ETFs invested in by SMSFs.Read more
Getting the government to top up your super account can be easy way to boost your retirement savings. Here’s an easy guide to the tips and traps.Read more
In your 50s you’ve turned the corner and are heading into the final career stretch before retirement. So now’s the time to start paying closer interest to your super and ensuring you are set up to reach your retirement goals.Read more
AGED-BASED SUPER GUIDES
In your late 60s, you may need to meet a work test before making contributions into your super account. Here’s the current rules and what they mean for you.Read more
Take the following 10-question quiz to test your knowledge on how to plan for your retirement.Read more
Take the following 10-question quiz to test your knowledge on boosting your super with superannuation contributions.Read more
Making super contributions not only helps with saving for your retirement; it can also be a useful tool for minimising your tax bill in the right situation.Read more
Using the bring-forward rules is a great way to put a large contribution into your super account in the same year. Here’s what you need to know about the rules.Read more
Making a tax-deductible super contribution can be a great way to boost your retirement savings. Find out whether they could be the right strategy for you.Read more
Forgoing some of your salary into your super through a salary sacrifice arrangement can have valuable tax benefits and help boost your retirement nest egg.Read more
Uncertain about whether or not you can choose your own super fund? Check out our simple guide to the current fund choice rules.Read more
Brush up on the super lexicon with our extensive glossary. 15% pension offset: A 15% tax offset available against assessable pension income if you use super money to purchase a pension income stream. The tax offset reduces your tax liability. ABS: Australian Bureau of Statistics Account-based pension: Regular retirement income stream purchased with money from […]Read more
Splitting your super with your spouse or partner can be a great way to boost your joint retirement savings and possibly save yourself some tax as well.Read more
If you have an issue with your super fund, there are steps you can take that will lead to the best chance of resolution.Read more
When couples divorce, super is often overlooked in favour of more readily accessible assets. While that’s understandable, ignoring super can result in serious financial disadvantage in the long term. Get the lowdown on what happens to super in the event of a relationship breakdown.Read more
When you reach age 60, the rules change on how much tax you are required to pay when you withdraw your super savings.Read more
Retire at 60, grab your tax-free super and ride off into the distance. Sounds like a plan, but as with everything to do with super, the devil is in the detail.Read more
Super funds continue to produce strong returns for their members in a difficult economic climate, with the median Growth fund up 1.7% in August for a cumulative return of 2.8% in the first two months of the financial year.Read more
The impressive share market recovery since the end of March last year has boosted returns for all Lifecycle age cohorts during that period, but younger members with higher allocations to shares have enjoyed the best of bounce back.Read more