How much super do I need? Cheapest super and pension funds, Pension fund returns, SMSF checklists, Introduction to aged care videos, Buying a commercial property through your SMSF
Highlights of this bumper February 2020 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- HOW MUCH SUPER DO I NEED? Barbara Drury looks at what you need to consider when planning when you might retire and estimating how much super you may need. We have also updated our series of articles (and reckoners) with the latest figures, including how much super you need to retire on $40,000, $50,000, $60,000, $80,000 or $100,000 a year, and what retirement income $500,000, $750,000, $1 million, $1.6 million, $2 million and $3.2 million in super can give you in retirement.
- SAVING FOR RETIREMENT: We look at ways you can also save for retirement outside super, and how where you choose to retire is a critical factor in how much you spend in retirement.
- INTRODUCTION TO AGED CARE: In a series of 3 video interviews, Bina Brown gives an introduction to aged care – including mistakes to avoid, ways to educate yourself and how home care packages and residential aged care work.
- SMSF CHECKLISTS: Penny Pryor has developed 4 handy SMSF checklists for trustees – covering annual admin, an investment strategy health check, for trustee meeting events, and when starting an SMSF pension.
- FUND PERFORMANCE: Pension funds had a great year in 2019, and in a separate video interview Ian Fryer from Chant West gives tips on choosing a pension fund. We also look at what drives the strong performance from the 5 largest not-for profit funds, as well as explore the increasing demand for sustainable investments.
Super fund fees are in the government’s sights, and funds are beginning to take notice.Read more
Super funds stay safe in short-term volatility, NAB hit with new class action, no increase in $1.6m transfer balance cap, older Australians resist home modifications and more Australian seniors would downsize if they could.Read more
People working casually, part-time or in ‘hazardous’ jobs may be paying for junk total and permanent disability insurance.Read more
Among the topics being investigated by the government’s retirement incomes review is whether compulsory super contributions should be lifted from 9.5% to 12%.Read more
When couples divorce, super is often overlooked in favour of more readily accessible assets. While that’s understandable, ignoring super can result in serious financial disadvantage in the long term. Get the lowdown on what happens to super in the event of a relationship breakdown.Read more
Making a tax-deductible super contribution can be a great way to boost your retirement savings. Find out whether they could be the right strategy for you.Read more
HOW MUCH SUPER DO I NEED?
The amount of super YOU need to retire will depend on your personal circumstances, financial resources both inside and outside super and your lifestyle. So before you set an arbitrary super target, block out the fearmongers and think about the big picture.Read more
See also our articles on how much super you need for a particular income in retirement:
- How much super do I need to retire on $40,000 a year?
- How much super do I need to retire on $50,000 a year?
- How much super do I need to retire on $60,000 a year?
- How much super do I need to retire on $80,000 a year?
- How much super do I need to retire on $100,000 a year?
- Plus our Income from super Reckoner.
We also have articles on how much retirement income particular super balances can generate
- Is $500,000 in super enough to retire on?
- Is $750,000 in super enough to retire on?
- Is $1 million in super enough to retire on?
- Is $1.6 million in super enough to retire on?
- Is $2 million in super enough to retire on?
- Is $3.2 million in super enough for a couple to retire on?
- Plus our Super to income Reckoner.
Superannuation pension funds delivered stellar returns to retirees in the year to June 2021, with the median Growth fund up a remarkable 20.1%.Read more
On the surface, industry funds have a lot in common. Not only have they outperformed retail funds, but they have also pioneered largescale investment in unlisted assets. Is that the secret to their success or is there more going on?Read more
While climate change is front of mind for many Australians during a summer of catastrophic bushfires, it is just one of many environmental, social and governance issues driving a growing investor demand for sustainable investments.Read more
In this video interview Mano Mohankumar, Senior investment research manager at Chant West, shares some insights on how super funds performed in 2019, the outlook for 2020, and what to consider when choosing a super investment option.Read more
Super funds continue to produce strong returns for their members in a difficult economic climate, with the median Growth fund up 1.7% in August for a cumulative return of 2.8% in the first two months of the financial year.Read more
One of the great benefits of an SMSF is it can buy the commercial property used by your business, with the fund becoming your landlord. But how do you go about organising a loan and rental arrangement that keeps the tax man happy?Read more
The ATO has clarified its position on non-arm’s length income and expenditure, and the cost of getting it wrong.Read more
Want to avoid an SMSF penalty? Make sure you use our annual admin checklist.Read more
A health check of your SMSF’s investment strategy could help improve your fund’s performance.Read more
The minutes from trustee minutes are very important documents for your SMSF. Your auditor will examine them carefully every year and if your fund is ever randomly examined by the ATO, you will be in a much better position if you have comprehensive minutes around all major decisions made for the fund.Read more
The following checklist will help you get on top of everything that needs to be when starting an SMSF pension.Read more
It’s often said that location is everything where property is concerned, but it also makes a big difference to how far your money stretches in retirement.Read more
Reaching your Total Super Balance limit creates problems if you want to continue building your wealth, but there are some strategies you can consider.Read more
We asked financial advisers to share their top tips. From downsizing your home to changing the way you think about retirement, here’s what they want us to know.Read more
While we are strong believers that super is, well, super, we appreciate there is also a place for retirement savings held outside super. In this article, we explain when and why.Read more
In this video interview Bina Brown, Director of Third Age Matters, gives an introduction into aged care, including common mistakes people make, ways to educate yourself about aged care and other tips for those first thinking about aged care.Read more
Bina Brown explains how aged care home care packages work and how they are assessed.Read more
Bina Brown explains how residential aged care works, what are the typical wait times and costs, and what you should consider when choosing a residential aged care facility.Read more
In this video interview Ian Fryer, Head of Research at Chant West, shares some insights into choosing a pension fund, including how choosing a pension fund is different to choosing a super fund, what the process is to starting a pension, and what investment option to consider in retirement.Read more