Investment special, Top performing funds, Productivity Commission report, Franking credits, Life expectancy
Welcome to the JANUARY 2019 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter. Highlights include:
- TOP PERFORMING FUNDS FOR 2018: The last quarter was a rollercoaster for many investors, but the median balanced super funds managed to eke out a positive result – the 7th year in a row. Find out which funds did even better.
- PRODUCTIVITY COMMISSION: The PC has handed down it’s final report card on super. Janine summarises the main considerations for Australian consumers, and separately assesses the “Best in show” proposal which is making all the headlines.
- FRANKING CREDITS: The ALP’s ban on franking credits could become a reality if they win the next election, and would have significant consequences for many SMSFs. Ali Cain explores how this can affect an SMSF’s investment strategy, and what options SMSF trustees might consider.
- SMSF INVESTMENT: Discover what SMSFs are investing in – including the most popular Australian shares, International shares and alternative investments.
- LIFE EXPECTANCY: One of the trickiest areas of retirement planning is knowing how long you’ll be around for. Luke Vanem looks at the key factors and statistics, while David Orford urges us to treat the statistics with a pinch of salt.
SMSF members could be forced to take on more risk, should the ALP be successful with its plan to scrap cash refunds from franking credits.Read more
This article lists the 20 most popular Australian domestic listed securities invested in by SMSFs as of 30 June 2020.Read more
SMSF investors estimate a +1.4% capital growth expectation for the All Ordinaries Index for the next 12 months, according to the latest Investment Trends’ Investors Intention Index report.Read more
This article lists the 20 most popular international shares invested in by SMSFs as of 30 June 2020.Read more
SMSF trustees are often accused of being unadventurous in their asset allocation, but some are bucking the trend with ‘exotic’ investments in everything from horse semen to vending machines and dividend-paying cows.Read more
IS YOUR SUPER FUND PERFORMING?
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing Conservative super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. Conservative funds have 21-40% invested in growth assets.Read more
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing High Growth funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. High Growth funds have 81-95% invested in growth assets.Read more
The impressive share market recovery since the end of March last year has boosted returns for all Lifecycle age cohorts during that period, but younger members with higher allocations to shares have enjoyed the best of bounce back.Read more
Australia’s current super system is “harming millions of members” through underperforming funds, multiple accounts and excessive fees.Read more
A key recommendation in the new Productivity Commission report, the idea of employees being given a ‘best in show’ list for the top 10 performing super funds has been met with a hostile response from the super industry.Read more
An easy way to determine if you believe your super fund is good value, is to assess the cost of your super fund against the average costs for the different types of super funds available.Read more
Fees are important, but they are not the only thing driving superannuation’s investment returns.Read more
Superannuation is a long-term investment but that doesn’t mean you can afford to put off thinking about it indefinitely.Read more
HAVE YOU PLANNED FOR A LONG LIFE?
With decades of expert actuarial experience, David Orford reviews the current risks with using the Australian Life Tables at face value.Read more
Life expectancy is a complex topic, so we’ve put together a straightforward guide to help explain the key concepts – enabling you to plan your retirement with a bit more confidence.Read more
One of the first decisions you must make when setting up an SMSF is whether to choose a corporate or an individual trustee structure. We take a look at the pros and cons and the key differences between the two structures.Read more
SMSF trustees need to understand the potential impact currency movements can have on their international equity portfolios.Read more
UPDATED CONTRIBUTIONS GUIDES
It can be confusing to understand all the different types of super contributions. But it’s worth learning the main types and what each one offers you.Read more
Concessional contributions are taxed at concessional rates, so to make the most of them it’s important to understand how they work.Read more
Non-concessional contributions are a great way to top up your super retirement savings. Here’s our simple guide to how they work.Read more
Using the bring-forward rules is a great way to put a large contribution into your super account in the same year. Here’s what you need to know about the rules.Read more