Best performing super funds, super investing, investing in retirement, what makes super super?
Highlights of our JULY 2018 Investment special include:
- BEST PERFORMING SUPER FUNDS: Last year was a good year for super fund returns. The top performing balanced super fund returned 12.5% – more than 1% higher than the next best. Find out which funds performed best over 1 year and 10 years.
- SUPER INVESTING: Now you know how much the top performers returned, now is a good time to assess your own fund, particularly the investment option you’ve chosen. We also lift the lid on some of the more advanced super investing topics such as unit pricing and crediting rates, buy/sell spreads, listed and unlisted investments and how much your super fund discloses it’s investments
- INVESTING IN RETIREMENT: What is the 10/30/40 rule, and why is it important for your investments in retirement?
- INVESTMENT RECKONERS: All our investment calculators have been updated with the latest investment data. Find out the monthly and annual super returns, plus the performance of all the key asset classes.
- WHAT MAKES SUPER SUPER? There are lots of additional benefits that super provides members beyond saving for retirement. Discover some perks that you might be missing out on.
TOP-PERFORMING SUPER FUNDS FOR 2017/2018 YEAR
In this article we report median super fund performance for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years, up to 30 June 2021 and across five different investment options.Read more
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing Balanced super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. Balanced funds have 41-60% invested in growth assets.Read more
Discover the top 10 performing Growth super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. Growth funds have 61-80% invested in growth assets.Read more
APRA statistics released this week show retail funds have lost nearly $23 billion in value since December 2017, while over the same period industry funds grew by nearly $40 billion. This represents a change in value of assets of -6% for retail funds and +4% for industry funds.Read more
INVESTMENT PERFORMANCE RECKONERS
In our reckoner below you can view the median monthly investment returns for 5 superannuation investment options going back to January 2016.Read more
In the reckoners below you can view the median super fund returns for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years across five different investment options.Read more
COMPARING YOUR SUPER FUND’S PERFORMANCE
If you believe your super fund is not performing as well as you had hoped, or as well as other super funds, what can you do? Here’s our 5-step guide to help you assess whether your super fund’s investment performance is staying with the pack – or lagging the field.Read more
Understanding your super balance and comparing the performance of your super fund with other funds involves more than just checking fees, super contributions and insurance premiums. It’s also knowing how – and when – your super fund calculates and applies investment earnings to the balance of your super account.Read more
The investment assets of many super funds are far from transparent – both publicly and for fund members. It’s a situation the government has tried to remedy over a number of years, but from 31 December 2020 all that’s changing.Read more
Besides being a great way to save for retirement, Australia’s super system offers some valuable – but little-known – benefits for super fund members. Here’s our list of the top 10 super benefits and how they can help improve your financial situation.Read more
When it comes to delivering a good investment return to their fund members, super funds mix a variety of investment assets and structures together. To understand what your super fund is doing on your behalf, it’s worth learning a little more about these investments – particularly whether they are listed or unlisted.Read more
Research first undertaken in the United States nearly 30 years ago found around 90 cents of every one dollar in retirement income comes from the earnings you achieve on your super investments, with only 10 cents coming from your own savings.Read more
SWITCHING INVESTMENT OPTIONS
What’s your risk profile and why is it key to one of the most important decisions you can make when it comes to boosting your super account?Read more
Buy/sell spread fees are something we’re all likely to see a lot more of thanks to ASIC’s new disclosure rules for annual fund member statements. So just what are these mysterious charges and how do they work?Read more
If you’re unhappy with how your super savings have grown, it’s worth considering whether you’re in the right investment option in your super fund. To help you work through the process of making an investment option switch, check out our simple explainer.Read more
Most super funds offer a range of super pension products, so you have lots of choices when it comes to investment options.Read more
ENCORE: SUPER INVESTMENT FOR BEGINNERS
Just because we may be compelled to have superannuation, is no reason to leave it to its fate. In fact, playing a role in how your super is invested is one of the key ways we can influence its outcome. Here we break down the key concepts to help you gain confidence with the investing side of super.Read more