Best performing super funds, super investing, investing in retirement, what makes super super?
Highlights of our JULY 2018 INVESTMENT SPECIAL include:
- BEST PERFORMING SUPER FUNDS: Last year was a good year for super fund returns. The top performing balanced super fund returned 12.5% – more than 1% higher than the next best. Find out which funds performed best over 1 year and 10 years.
- SUPER INVESTING: Now you know how much the top performers returned, now is a good time to assess your own fund, particularly the investment option you’ve chosen. We also lift the lid on some of the more advanced super investing topics such as unit pricing and crediting rates, buy/sell spreads, listed and unlisted investments and how much your super fund discloses it’s investments
- INVESTING IN RETIREMENT: What is the 10/30/40 rule, and why is it important for your investments in retirement?
- INVESTMENT RECKONERS: All our investment calculators have been updated with the latest investment data. Find out the monthly and annual super returns, plus the performance of all the key asset classes.
- WHAT MAKES SUPER SUPER? There are lots of additional benefits that super provides members beyond saving for retirement. Discover some perks that you might be missing out on.
TOP-PERFORMING SUPER FUNDS FOR 2017/2018 YEAR
In this article you can find super fund performance for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years, up to the latest financial year and across five different investment options. We’re grateful to Chant West for providing the statistics in this article. Read more
Super funds finished the 2017/2018 financial year with an average return of 9.2% making it the ninth consecutive year of positive returns. Read more
Superannuation is a long-term investment. Those starting in the workforce today at 18 will have 47 years of superannuation contributions and investment returns ahead of them if they retire at 65. Read more
In this article you can find super fund performance for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years, up to the latest calendar year and across five different investment options. We’re grateful to Chant West for providing the statistics in this article. Read more
APRA statistics released this week show retail funds have lost nearly $23 billion in value since December 2017, while over the same period industry funds grew by nearly $40 billion. Read more
INVESTMENT PERFORMANCE RECKONERS
In our reckoner below you can view the median monthly investment returns for 5 superannuation investment options. We’re grateful to Chant West for providing the statistics that power the reckoner. Read more
In the reckoners below you can view the median super fund returns for 1, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 years across five different investment options. There are two reckoners – one contains returns for the last 4 calendar years and the other contains returns for the last 3 financial years. We’re grateful to Chant West for providing the statistics in this article. Read more
SuperGuide’s Asset Sector Performance reckoner allows you to compare the investment performance of various asset classes over the short, medium and long term. Read more
COMPARING YOUR SUPER FUND’S PERFORMANCE
Although superannuation funds, on average, delivered strong returns for the 2017/2018 year, some Australians may be questioning how well their own super fund is performing and wondering what this performance means for their retirement plans. Read more
Understanding why your super balance goes up and down is more than just checking fees, super contributions and insurance premiums. It’s also knowing how – and when – your super fund calculates and applies investment earnings to your super savings. Read more
With trillions of dollars tied up in Australia’s super funds, you’d think it would be pretty easy to find out where all that money is invested. But that’s not the case. Read more
Besides being a great way to save for retirement, superannuation offers lots of little-known benefits for super fund members. Read more
A large superannuation fund’s investment strategy is usually built around the goal of creating a strong but smooth stream of investment returns over time. Read more
Around 60 cents in every dollar of retirement income comes from the investment earnings you make in retirement. Read more
SWITCHING INVESTMENT OPTIONS
Successful investing means being comfortable with the level of risk that accompanies the investment you choose. Read more
Mention a buy/sell spread and even the most interested super fund member will look a little confused. These super charges are one of the least understood costs of being a member of a super fund. Read more
If you are unhappy with your super account’s investment return you may consider switching super funds. Depending on the reasons for your dissatisfaction, a simple way to boost your savings could be to move some, or all, of your existing super account balance into another investment option within your current super fund. Read more
Most people think all the hard work is over once they hit retirement, but decisions still need to be made about how to invest your hard-earned super savings. Read more
ENCORE: SUPER INVESTMENT FOR BEGINNERS
The way the super industry tends to invest your money can be compared to a team sport, which more often than not involves third parties to execute investment strategies on their behalf. Read more