We receive many questions from readers about investing in property using superannuation money. Questions range from: ‘Can I withdraw my super to buy a house to live in?’, right through to ‘How can I use my super fund to borrow money to invest in property?’.
For the convenience of our 2.5 million-plus readers, we have compiled a list of some of the most popular Q & As on the topic of property. You can also individually access each of the questions via the SuperGuide website, and feel free to check out the other articles on this topic as well.
Due to the numbers of questions that we receive, it is not possible to answer every question but we hope to cover most issues raised in emails, in our broader articles, or in selected Q & As.
All the questions that we receive from readers help us to develop the content for the website, even when you don’t receive a direct response (although all emails are read, and acknowledged).
We have lots and lots of articles and Q and As on this site (see Superannuation Q and As and SMSF Q and As), which we update regularly and I recommend anyone with questions on any topic to check out our existing content in case we have already answered a similar question or featured the issue you are concerned about in an article. You can also type in key words into our search facility.
Most of the questions in this list relate to self-managed super funds, although the last 5 questions listed below relate to members of any super fund. Some of the questions have appeared on the website previously, but where necessary, we have updated all of the Q & As to represent the current super laws relating to property.
You can click each question to access the relevant Q and A.
- Can my DIY super fund invest in property directly?
- Can my SMSF buy my residential investment property?
- Can a SMSF buy overseas property?
- Can a SMSF buy commercial property from a fund member?
- Can we sell an investment property owned by a SMSF, to a fund member?
- What are the tax implications when we sell an investment property owned by a SMSF?
- How do we calculate the CGT payable by the SMSF when we sell a property, or other investment?
SMSF borrowing and property
- Can my SMSF borrow money to buy property, and under what circumstances?
- Is a limited recourse borrowing arrangement the same as a non-recourse loan?
- What are the SMSF borrowing rules?