How the wealthy invest, SMSFs vs Member Direct, Home Care Package costs, Choosing a retirement calculator, Putting an inheritance into super
Highlights of the August 2019 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- HOW THE WEALTHY INVEST: Want to know the secrets of what the cashed up do with their money? We look at how the well-off invest and the results may surprise you…
- PUTTING AN INHERITANCE INTO SUPER: What should you do with an inheritance? Is it better to pay off your mortgage, pay down debt or put it into super? We look at the pros and cons of different strategies so you can make the most of an inheritance.
- HOW INFLATION AFFECTS YOUR RETIREMENT INCOME: Inflation can rob you of your super over time. Find out how it happens and what you can do to stop it.
- WHAT TO DO WHEN A MEMBER LEAVES A SMSF: Breaking up can be hard to do – especially when a member leaves a SMSF under less than amicable circumstances. Here’s how to avoid the pain up front.
- SUPER PERFORMANCE AND RISK: Super is a risky business. But how much risk should you take – and how can you calculate the real risk involved in your investments? We look at how to measure risk and use it to your advantage.
- SELLING A BUSINESS BEFORE RETIREMENT? Business owners face a lot of big decisions when planning their retirement. We talk to a transition expert who helps business owners who are looking to retire, set themselves up for success and outline the pitfalls to avoid.
- PLANNING SPENDING FOR THE THREE STAGES OF RETIREMENT: Research shows that there are three clear stages in most people’s retirement, and they all need a different budget. Find out more, so you can plan your retirement spending better.
APRA to rate super funds, ATO cracking down on SMSF diversification and Australians working longer.Read more
Super funds continue to produce strong returns for their members in a difficult economic climate, with the median Growth fund up 1.7% in August for a cumulative return of 2.8% in the first two months of the financial year.Read more
If you’re single and a woman, then the super stats are stacked against you. But you can still come out winning in the super stakes if you do what these three smart women did…Read more
Increasingly super funds offer support through education, advice, apps and rewards – find out if your fund stacks up in terms of what it does for you.Read more
Deciding whether to put an inheritance into super can be tricky, so think carefully before you act.Read more
By the time you retire chances are that superannuation will be your biggest store of wealth outside the family home. Yet we tend to spend more time researching the best mobile phone plan or our next holiday than we do on our super.Read more
Retiring due to ill health is much more common than you might think, and it can severely impact your super. We look at some tips that can help if the unexpected happens.Read more
Take our 10-question quiz to test your knowledge on the fundamentals of superannuation.Read more
A significantly large proportion of industry funds and some retail funds offer member direct options that enable members to choose stocks from the ASX along with ETFs, LICs and trusts and term deposits.Read more
Australia’s ipso facto laws have changed. This has relevance for self-managed super fund (SMSF) trustees. In simple terms, the ipso facto provisions relate to what happens when one of the parties that are signatory to a contract goes into administration or similar.Read more
Single touch payroll (STP) reporting is a streamlined way for employers to provide the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) with payroll information, that is, pay as you go (PAYG) withholding and superannuation guarantee information.Read more
SMSFs offer members lots of benefits, including a great degree of control over investments and some tax advantages. Many members love them, however some also realise after a number of years that maybe an SMSF isn’t the right superannuation solution for them.Read more
According to psychologists, retirement comes in five phases. Find out about these different stages and the best way to navigate them.Read more
Elderly retirees who need support to stay in their own homes can apply for government home care packages. We look at what they are, what the different levels cost, and when you may have to contribute from your own savings.Read more
Inflation can rob you of your retirement savings – so understanding how and having a strategy in place to offset it can really make a difference over the long term. Learn how inflation works and what you can do about it.Read more
Spending during retirement changes the longer you’re retired. Find out about the three stages and how it can impact the amount of money you will need.Read more
If you work for yourself, planning for retirement and deciding what to do with your business can be a minefield. We talk to an expert about what you need to be thinking about and where to find help, so you can make your transition from running a business to retirement stress free.Read more
Anyone who’s ever spent a few minutes popping numbers into their super fund’s online retirement calculator to find out if their retirement savings are on track knows it’s a confusing process.Read more
Before accepting that your super fund’s retirement calculator is able to accurately predict the future, it’s worth understanding a little about how these retirement simulators work.Read more
Have you ever wondered how the rich invest? Very cautiously is the answer.Read more
Platforms and wraps are a simple and cost-effective way to get access to ASX-listed securities, margin lending, more managed funds than you could ever want, a wide range of term deposits and cash facilities. Here’s what you need to know about them.Read more
Super funds, insurance companies and banks are all concerned about the cost of climate change to their products and operating costs. Here’s why it’s going to affect you…Read more
Recent market volatility and its impact on super returns has highlighted the importance of managing investment risk. Some super funds manage this task better than others.Read more
The Sharpe ratio can help you determine the investment choice that will deliver the highest returns while also considering risk. Find out what it is, and how you can use it…Read more