Lowest-fee super and pension funds, Best performing funds, Transfer balance cap to rise, Tax and your SMSF, Downsizer case study, Retirement myth-conceptions.
Highlights of the February 2021 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- LOW-FEE FUNDS ON THE RISE. The lowest-fee super and pension funds have something in common – they follow the index.
- BEST PERFORMING SUPER AND PENSION FUNDS. Despite significant challenges, super and pension funds finished strongly last year. We reveal the champions.
- CAPS LIFTING ON TRANSFER BALANCE AND TOTAL SUPER BALANCE. Don’t know your TBC from your TSB? We help you spot the difference.
- DO SMSFs PAY LESS TAX? While all super funds are taxed the same way, SMSFs have more flexibility than big funds.
- MAKING THE MOVE TO BOOST RETIREMENT INCOME. Downsizing your home can release much needed retirement income, as this case study shows.
- RETIREMENT MYTHS ARE LEGEND. The Retirement Income Review challenged some common beliefs causing many retirees to live more frugally than necessary.
HOW SUPER WORKS
Super fund fees are in the government’s sights, and funds are beginning to take notice.Read more
Super funds continued their phoenix-like rise from the COVID ashes in March, with the median Growth fund up 1.9% for the month and an extraordinary 12.2% for the first 9 months of the financial year.Read more
The bounceback in superannuation pension funds, like accumulation funds, continued in the September quarter 2020, albeit at a less exuberant pace than in the June quarter.Read more
Transfer balance cap to rise 1 July 2021, Super associations urge government to make super fair for all, Nearly one million young Australians left with little or no super, ATO has its eye on auditor details in SMSF annual returns, SMSF Association calls for less complexity in super, High Court says Westpac subsidiaries gave unauthorised personal advice, Optimum Pensions to launch new market-linked lifetime annuity, Maritime Super to outsource investment to Hostplus.Read more
Understanding the difference between your total superannuation balance and your transfer balance cap
Don’t know your TSB from your TBC? Read this simple explainer.Read more
That extra you’re about to get in super, most of it will come from you, but don’t expect the ads to tell you that
There’s something odd about those television and internet advertisements telling us we are getting more super.Read more
BEST PERFORMING SUPER AND PENSION FUNDS
Check out the best performing super and pension funds across 5 different investment categories over 1 year and 10 years, updated to 31 December 2020.
SUPER AND PENSION FUND QUARTILES
If your super fund is not in the top 10, see which quartile it ranks in across 5 different investment categories and 8 different timeframes, updated to 31 December 2020.
All super funds pay the same tax rate, but there are differences in the ability of SMSFs and large super funds to manage their tax liabilities for the benefit of members.Read more
The most important investment decision you make may not be about what you invest in, but how you spread your money across different investments.Read more
These days people trading on the stock market want more than just a strong financial return. They’re increasingly opting for investments that will also have a positive societal impact.Read more
When you see a financial adviser, there are rules about the documents and information you must be given to ensure the advice is in your best interests and will help you make informed decisions.Read more
Even the experts acknowledge that our retirement income system is complex, so it’s important to clear up some common misunderstanding.Read more
Lee and Mandy are retired and want to see whether downsizing could increase their retirement income.Read more
Jim Bonham from Save Our Super examines recent claims that retirees have been hoarding their superannuation.Read more