Best performing super and pension funds, Fund rankings, Super investing, SMSF investing, SMSF statistics
Highlights of the August 2020 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- SUPER FUNDS CONTINUE WINNING STREAK: July was another good news month for investors, as super funds posted their fourth straight month of positive returns.
- IS YOUR SUPER FUND AHEAD OF THE PACK? Difficult times bring out the best in some funds. We reveal the top 10 super and pension funds across five different risk categories to June 2020. If your super fund is not in the top 10 you can check it’s position in our updated rankings over 1 to 15 years.
- CURB THAT EMOTION: There’s nothing like a crisis to make us act irrationally. Tracey Spicer chats to Eva Scheerlinck from AIST about the impact of COVID-19 on super members’ behaviour and the lessons of history.
- HOW RISKY IS YOUR SUPER? A certain amount of risk is crucial to long term investment success. But finding out how much risk your super fund is exposed to is not easy. We lift the lid on fund labels.
- TIME TO STRESS TEST YOUR SMSF STRATEGY: The COVID-related market turmoil has been a challenge for all super fund members, but even more so for self-directed SMSF investors. We share the latest ATO guidance on setting your investment strategy.
- SMSF STATISTICS: Thanks to the ATO we have updated statistics on SMSFs, including what type of people have SMSFs, average balances and average costs.
No September rise for Age Pension?, Premiums up in smoke, Call to open infrastructure investment to all super funds, High risk for managed funds, Seniors demand more help at home, Pensioners charged double, Australia ranked 3rd best in world’s top pension plans.Read more
Super funds continued their phoenix-like rise from the COVID ashes in March, with the median Growth fund up 1.9% for the month and an extraordinary 12.2% for the first 9 months of the financial year.Read more
The bounceback in superannuation pension funds, like accumulation funds, continued in the September quarter 2020, albeit at a less exuberant pace than in the June quarter.Read more
Tracey Spicer talks to Eva Scheerlinck, CEO of the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees, about how COVID-19 has impacted super member behaviour and what we can learn from previous financial crises.Read more
BEST PERFORMING SUPER AND PENSION FUNDS
We now publish lists of the top 10 performing super and pension funds across 5 different risk categories and over 1 year and 10 years. This introductory article is designed to help you understand each risk category.Read more
SUPER AND PENSION FUND RANKINGS
Now updated to 31 March 2021. Have you ever looked at your super fund’s investment returns and thought “that looks pretty good”, or “that’s disappointing’’, and wondered how your fund compares with similar funds? Is it a consistently high performer or an inveterate underachiever?Read more
The three drivers of investment success are time, returns and risk. Try to remove risk and in time you’ll rue your lost returns.Read more
A rising chorus of superannuation industry professionals agree the current labelling of super investment options is past its use by date, but that’s where the agreement ends.Read more
It’s been a long time coming, but a group of superannuation industry professionals is proposing a set of standards to categorise growth and defensive assets.Read more
Recent market volatility and its impact on super returns has highlighted the importance of managing investment risk. Some super funds manage this task better than others.Read more
The past financial year has been one of the most volatile on record for stock markets, yet almost every Australian super fund has delivered similar returns. This not only demonstrates that super funds very rarely make large calls about when to buy and sell, it also gives an insight into what we should do when making our own investment decisions.Read more
In this video Tracey Spicer talks to Associate Professor Banita Bissoondoyal-Bheenick from RMIT about the importance of choosing the right investment option for you, not just through a pandemic, but for the long-term.Read more
The ATO has updated its advice around what it wants to see in an investment strategy. Here’s what you need to know, along with what you need to do following a market correction.Read more
Once again it has taken a major market correction to highlight the high (and sometimes extreme) levels of correlation between different asset classes.Read more
Changes to LRBA rules may make it easier for SMSFs to borrow to buy property.Read more
Many SMSFs start off with just one or two members but, as members’ children mature and become adults, some SMSF trustees seek to add dependents to their fund.Read more
The number of SMSFs in Australia has continued to rise in recent years, along with average individual member and overall fund balances. The majority of SMSFs have been operating for more than ten years and have corporate trustees, with this structure becoming very popular since 2015.Read more
SMSFs are now firmly embedded in Australia’s superannuation system, so what type of people are attracted to running their own funds?Read more
It may seem like everyone who’s anyone has a self-managed super fund (SMSF), if some financial advisers and property spruikers are to be believed. Yet the reality is that just 4% of Australians have one.Read more
SMSFs can cost a bit to set up, but the latest research shows they quickly become cost effective to run.Read more
A new report concludes that managing your own superannuation fund could cost less than you think.Read more
Tracey Spicer talks to Jim Hennington about why life expectancy aren’t just about average ages, how wide the range of life expectancy figures are for a 65-year-old today, and why understanding this is important for your retirement planning.Read more