Coronavirus and super, Age Pension rates, Preparing for retirement, Constructing a Portfolio in Retirement, Longevity
Highlights of the March 2020 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- CORONAVIRUS AND SUPER: Markets have plunged recently as the world gets to grips with the Coronavirus, and many Australians are concerned about how their super and retirement will be affected. In a series of articles we go beyond the headlines to help you think about how it may impact your super balance and planning in retirement.
- NEW AGE PENSION RATES: Age Pension rates rise from March 20th, as do the thresholds for the assets and income tests. The government has also announced reductions to the deeming rates to reflect the recent drop in interest rates.
- PREPARING FOR RETIREMENT: We asked 16 independent financial advisers to give their tips for preparing for retirement. Watch the video for some pointers on what to consider.
- CREATING A PORTFOLIO IN RETIREMENT: Barbara Drury provides some helpful tips on how to approach building a retirement portfolio. In a separate article we analyse exclusive data on how SMSF retirees invest.
- LIFE EXPECTANCY AND LONGEVITY: While life expectancy looks at the quantity, longevity is all about the quality. David Williams talks us through the limitations of the current life expectancy tools and tells us what the key factors in longevity are. In a separate article Joanna Webber shares with us some secrets to living longer.
- CORONAVIRUS QUESTIONS: The impact of the Coronavirus has created a great deal of uncertainty, caused widespread disruption around the world, heavy sharemarket falls, and is a very dynamic situation. If you are concerned about how this impacts you personally, we encourage you to get financial advice. We will also be adapting our coverage to try to answer the big questions you may have about the impact of the Coronavirus to your retirement planning. If you would like to send us a question please do so. Please note that we can only consider questions that are general in nature. We also cannot answer questions individually, but we will do our best to publish as many Q&As as possible.
CORONAVIRUS AND SUPER
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.
Super funds continued their winning streak in January, with the median Growth fund up 1% over the month.
Age Pension rates increased on 20 September 2023. This article also explains how the Age Pension works, and includes the latest Age Pension rates for residents, non-residents, and the transitional Age Pension.
This article details the rules and limits of the Age Pension assets test (how much your savings and other assets are worth), which is one half of the means test (along with the income test) that determines how much Age Pension you could be eligible for.
A common question for those nearing or in retirement is “How much can a pensioner earn before it affects the pension?”.
Under the deeming rules, you are ‘deemed’ to earn a certain annual rate of return on your financial assets, regardless of the rate of return you actually earn.
Our Age Pension calculator gives you an estimate of your potential Age Pension entitlements for the period 20 September 2023 to 19 March 2024.
The amount you and your partner have in super can have a big impact on your Age Pension entitlements. We explain how.
Pensioners, veterans, other income support recipients and concession card holders will receive a one-off payment of $750 as part of the Government’s $17.6 billion plan to prevent the economy sliding into recession following the coronavirus pandemic.
We look at whether you can rid your super of fossil fuels, and how a renewable energy portfolio might affect your nest egg.
SMSFs are often taken to task for relying too heavily on cash and Australian shares, but the picture is more nuanced if you scratch below the surface.
SMSF trustees have a lot of laws they need to be aware of if they don’t want to cop a thousand-dollar fine. Here, we go over the main Acts that mention superannuation and SMSFs.
It’s worth getting your head around the ECPI rules, as they can provide tax benefits if your SMSF is paying a pension.
There’s no getting around regular asset valuations for your SMSF, and it needs to be done by the book.
Preparing for retirement can be daunting for many Australians. In this video members of the Profession of Independent Financial Advisers help you understand the important things to consider.
The Age Pensions taper rate is a big issue for retirees who find themselves caught in a trap where too much super means less pension payments.
When it comes to planning your retirement, good financial advice can provide valuable benefits – both for your finances and your emotional wellbeing.
It’s been a long time coming, but super funds are beginning to offer more flexible pension products offering income for life.
By the time you retire you may think you know a thing or two about investing. But retirement raises new challenges, especially when it comes to structuring your income.
It’s common to worry about whether the money you can save for retirement will last the distance. But there are steps you can take to help ease your anxiety.
If retirement beckons, it’s time to work out how much income you think you will need to fund your desired retirement lifestyle. Here’s what you need to consider.
We’re starting families later, retiring later and living longer than ever before. But what do older Australians think living longer might look like?
IMPORTANT: All information on SuperGuide is general in nature only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether any information on SuperGuide is appropriate to you before acting on it. If SuperGuide refers to a financial product you should obtain the relevant product disclosure statement (PDS) or seek personal financial advice before making any investment decisions. Superguide Pty Ltd ATF Superguide Unit Trust as a Corporate Authorised Representative (CAR) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Independent Financial Advisers Australia, AFSL 464629.