Coronavirus and super, Age Pension rates, Preparing for retirement, Constructing a Portfolio in Retirement, Longevity
Highlights of the March 2020 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- CORONAVIRUS AND SUPER: Markets have plunged recently as the world gets to grips with the Coronavirus, and many Australians are concerned about how their super and retirement will be affected. In a series of articles we go beyond the headlines to help you think about how it may impact your super balance and planning in retirement.
- NEW AGE PENSION RATES: Age Pension rates rise from March 20th, as do the thresholds for the assets and income tests. The government has also announced reductions to the deeming rates to reflect the recent drop in interest rates.
- PREPARING FOR RETIREMENT: We asked 16 independent financial advisers to give their tips for preparing for retirement. Watch the video for some pointers on what to consider.
- CREATING A PORTFOLIO IN RETIREMENT: Barbara Drury provides some helpful tips on how to approach building a retirement portfolio. In a separate article we analyse exclusive data on how SMSF retirees invest.
- LIFE EXPECTANCY AND LONGEVITY: While life expectancy looks at the quantity, longevity is all about the quality. David Williams talks us through the limitations of the current life expectancy tools and tells us what the key factors in longevity are. In a separate article Joanna Webber shares with us some secrets to living longer.
- CORONAVIRUS QUESTIONS: The impact of the Coronavirus has created a great deal of uncertainty, caused widespread disruption around the world, heavy sharemarket falls, and is a very dynamic situation. If you are concerned about how this impacts you personally, we encourage you to get financial advice. We will also be adapting our coverage to try to answer the big questions you may have about the impact of the Coronavirus to your retirement planning. If you would like to send us a question please do so. Please note that we can only consider questions that are general in nature. We also cannot answer questions individually, but we will do our best to publish as many Q&As as possible.
CORONAVIRUS AND SUPER
The Coronavirus pandemic is taking the world into unchartered waters, both in terms of public health and personal wealth.Read more
Noel Whittaker, Scott Pape and other experts discuss how to think about the Coronavirus in relation to your super and retirement.Read more
Over the last couple of weeks the major super funds have generally been proactive in communicating with their members about what the recent Coronavirus-related sharemarket falls mean for Australians and their super. In this article we’ve summarised some of the key points that the major super funds have been passing on to members.Read more
Stock markets have crashed, we can be confident of that. History suggests there is no quick recovery from crashes like these, which means lasting consequences for investors.Read more
Super funds rose for the third straight month in June, making a 6.5% comeback from the COVID cliff the previous quarter. By the end of the financial year, most funds ended up near where they started with some funds managing a modest positive return. All in all, that’s a good outcome from one of the most turbulent financial years in the past century.Read more
Age Pension rates increased on 20 March 2020. This article also explains how the Age Pension works, and includes the latest Age Pension rates for residents, non-residents, and the transitional Age Pension.Read more
This article details the rules and limits of the Age Pension assets test (how much your savings and other assets are worth), which is one half of the means test (along with the income test) that determines how much Age Pension you could be eligible for.Read more
A common question for those nearing or in retirement is “How much can a pensioner earn before it affects the pension?”.Read more
On 22 March 2020 the Federal government announced that from 1 May 2020 the deeming rates would be lowered to 0.25% (lower rate) and 2.25% (upper rate).Read more
Our Age Pension calculator gives you an indication of potential Age Pension entitlements. The Age Pension rates are those that apply from 20 March 2020 to 19 September 2020.Read more
Your superannuation can potentially affect how much, if any, Age Pension you receive in several ways. As well as the amount you have in super, your partner’s age can have an impact as can what you do with any super payments you access.Read more
Pensioners, veterans, other income support recipients and concession card holders will receive a one-off payment of $750 as part of the Government’s $17.6 billion plan to prevent the economy sliding into recession following the coronavirus pandemic.Read more
When it comes to investing your super, working out what mix of assets to use is tricky. But new research shows there are important issues to remember when selecting your mix of investment assets.Read more
We look at whether you can rid your super of fossil fuels, and how a renewable energy portfolio might affect your nest egg.Read more
There’s plenty of information out there on how to create an investment strategy in retirement. But have you ever wondered how retirees actually invest?Read more
SMSF trustees have a lot of laws they need to be aware of if they don’t want to cop a thousand-dollar fine. Here, we go over the main Acts that mention superannuation and SMSFs.Read more
Self-managed superannuation funds offer members some useful advantages when it comes to paying pensions. One such benefit refers to the treatment of income earned on assets that are supporting a pension, called exempt current pension income or ECPI.Read more
Accurate asset valuation is integral to ensuring SMSF compliance with super legislation. SMSF assets must be valued at their current market value. SMSF trustees can take responsibility for valuing many types of assets if they wish, or they can use the services of independent professional valuers.Read more
Preparing for retirement can be daunting for many Australians. In this video members of the Profession of Independent Financial Advisers help you understand the important things to consider.Read more
Although building your super account balance is a good idea, the current Age Pension and super system rules can create a black hole for some people – leaving them better off with less money in their super account. Could you be at risk?Read more
Most people know good financial advice can help them, but many question whether it’s really worth the money. When it comes to planning your retirement, however, there can be valuable benefits – both in terms of your finances and your emotional wellbeing.Read more
An investment-linked annuity is a lifetime income stream where the retiree’s income varies to reflect changes in the value of a selected investment option.Read more
Retirement involves a series of adjustments, to your lifestyle and spending patterns but also to the way you invest.Read more
Most Australians are worried about outliving their retirement savings, with pre-retirees the most concerned. But there are some simple steps you can take to help you worry less and sleep a little better.Read more
We all have expectations about what our retirement will look like in terms of lifestyle, but how does retirement actually pan out for those living in retirement?Read more
We’re starting families later, retiring later and living longer than ever before. But what do older Australians think living longer might look like?Read more
In this video interview David Williams from My Longevity talks about some of the more confusing aspects, and limitations, of calculating life expectancy, and the SHAPE plan.Read more
IMPORTANT: All information on SuperGuide is general in nature only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether any information on SuperGuide is appropriate to you before acting on it. If SuperGuide refers to a financial product you should obtain the relevant product disclosure statement (PDS) or seek personal financial advice before making any investment decisions. Superguide Pty Ltd ATF Superguide Unit Trust as a Corporate Authorised Representative (CAR) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Independent Financial Advisers Australia, AFSL 464629.