If you’re comparing super funds, you have 199 super funds to consider. Daunting? Perhaps, but it is important to note that there are only 5 types of super funds in Australia, and most Australians can only choose from 3 of these fund types.
You can expect to find the following five broad types of super funds in Australia:
- Company (or corporate) funds
- Industry funds
- Retail funds (although you may be offered a series of funds via a ‘wrap’)
- Public sector funds (also known as government superannuation schemes)
- Small funds (two-types: self-managed super funds and small APRA APRA stands for the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, the main super regulator). Nearly all small funds are self-managed super funds (SMSFs)
Most Australians can only choose to join industry, retail or SMSFs. Corporate super funds and public sector funds generally require you to be an employee of the company or the public sector, respectively. Continue reading this article to see the complete list of large super funds. Click on the name of the fund for detailed information, including investment performance.
Note: See the comprehensive super fund list below. This data contained is sourced from the superannuation regulator, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).
For more information about comparing super funds, see the following SuperGuide articles:
- Comparing super funds: Who’s who in the super zoo?
- How to compare super funds in 7 easy steps
- How to review your super fund
- Kingpins of super: 20 largest super funds
- How to evaluate whether an SMSF is right for you
- SMSFs: How much does a DIY super fund cost?
|wdt_ID||Super fund||Public offer status||Fund type||Investment options||ROR 1 year (%)||ROR 10 years (% pa)||Number of members|
|1||Advance Retirement Suite||Public offer||Retail||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2||AIA Superannuation Fund||Public offer||Retail||1||N/A||N/A||30,324|
|3||Alcoa of Australia Retirement Plan||Non public offer||Corporate||8||10.8%||9.4%||5,779|
|4||AMG Super||Public offer||Retail||110||5.9%||6.5%||7,277|
|5||AMP Eligible Rollover Fund||Public offer||Retail - ERF||1||2.8%||2.6%||539,762|
|6||AMP Retirement Trust||Public offer||Retail||204||6.8%||N/A||303,678|
|7||AMP Superannuation Savings Trust||Public offer||Retail||244||8.3%||8.3%||1,892,157|
|8||ANZ Australian Staff Superannuation Scheme||Non public offer||Corporate||7||8.2%||9.8%||31,688|
|9||Aon Eligible Rollover Fund||Public offer||Retail - ERF||1||0.7%||3.0%||23,439|
|10||AON Master Trust||Public offer||Retail||59||9.6%||9.6%||83,904|