Best performing super funds, Seniors cards, SMSF audits, Comparing funds
Welcome to the August 2018 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter. Highlights include:
- SENIORS CARDS: There’s a surprising array of benefits, concessions and discounts if you are eligible for a seniors card. Find out what you could be claim for in your state, and how to apply.
- IS $1 MILLION REALLY THE MAGIC FIGURE FOR SMSFS? Meg Heffron debunks the Productivity Commission’s theory that you need $1m to start an SMSF.
- SMSF AUDITS: Nobody seems to like the Coalition’s 3-yearly audit policy – neither the auditors nor the trustees. Belinda Aisbett and Jim Bonham present the views from either side, and both are in agreement that it’s a policy ultimately lacking in purpose.
- BEST PERFORMING SUPER FUNDS: It always pays to keep track of the latest stats on the best performing funds. This month we look at the top performing super and pension funds over 5 years. Separately we also present the super and pension funds with the lowest fees.
- COMPARING SUPER FUNDS: Now you know the top performers and cheapest funds, are you sure your fund is up to scratch? Find out what are the main types of funds, how to review yours, and what else you should consider when comparing super funds.
SPECIAL DEAL FOR OVER-60s
Everyone loves a bargain, but once they turn 60 many people forget to grab one of the best deals on offer – their state government’s Seniors Card.Read more
Depending on who you believe, self-managed superannuation funds range from being the greatest invention of the modern age or the most likely cause of the next financial crisis.Read more
As an SMSF trustee, Dr Bonham is deeply concerned about the proposed changes to the SMSF audit rules, and the ongoing instability for retirees and future retirees.Read more
After the initial shock has worn off, and now that Treasury has released a discussion paper outlining the proposed three-year audit cycle for SMSFs, it is time to consider how the proposed measures (if adopted) will be rolled out, and how these measures will affect both the SMSF sector and the obligations of SMSF trustees.Read more
IS YOUR SUPER FUND PERFORMING?
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing All Growth super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 31 December 2020. All Growth funds have 96-100% invested in growth assets.Read more
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing Balanced pension funds over 1 year and 10 years to 31 December 2020. Balanced funds have 41-60% invested in growth assets.Read more
The surprisingly strong share market rally from April through to August resulted in strong positive returns for all Lifecycle cohorts during that period.Read more
Super funds continued their positive run in January despite challenging conditions on global markets.Read more
Super fund fees are in the government’s sights, and funds are beginning to take notice.Read more
COMPARING SUPER FUNDS
Superannuation is a long-term investment but that doesn’t mean you can afford to put off thinking about it indefinitely.Read more
Is your super fund a star performer or a lemon? Follow our 6-step guide to assess if your super fund is right for you.Read more
Whatever your circumstances, it’s important to canvass all your options before you make your final selection. It’s also worth remembering that your choice of fund is not a life sentence. If you are unhappy with your fund for whatever reason, you are free to switch funds provided you have choice.Read more
MySuper funds have been around since 2014, but they are undergoing change in an effort to improve investment performance and lower fees.Read more
Insurance cover through your super fund offers cost effective protection for your family if you die. Here’s a simple guide to death cover, with a checklist of issues you need to considerRead more
If you are wondering how recent rule changes have affected your super and retirement plans, here’s a quick guide to the key changes and when they commenced.Read more
Australia’s current super system is “harming millions of members” through underperforming funds, multiple accounts and excessive fees.Read more