Top performing super and pension funds, why investment indexes matter, investing in infrastructure, benefits of the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, retiring overseas and bucket strategy investing
Highlights of the October 2019 edition of the SuperGuide Premium newsletter include:
- BEST PERFORMING SUPER AND PENSION FUNDS: Find out which were the top 30 performing balanced super funds and capital stable pension funds over 5 years.
- HOW TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ABOUT SUPER: Young adults are unlikely to have a burning interest in super, but engaging them early can make a big difference to their future.
- INVESTMENT INDEXES: 5 REASONS THEY MATTER FOR YOUR SUPER: We give you the lowdown on investment indexesand why they can be useful tools for learning more about the performance of your super account.
- HOW TO INVEST IN INFRASTRUCTURE THROUGH AN SMSF: New products and ways to invest in infrastructure have been growing – an opportunity for SMSFs given the long-term nature of infrastructure investment.
- IS A BUCKET STRATEGY THE SOLUTION FOR YOUR RETIREMENT INCOME PLAN? The bucket approach is a popular way to balance the need for income stability and capital growth in retirement. But what are the drawbacks?
- COMMONWEALTH SENIORS HEALTH CARD: WHAT DOES IT PROVIDE AND HOW DO I GET ONE? Discover whether you’re eligible and how you can benefit from this valuable concession card.
- RETIRING OVERSEAS: It certainly has its advantages, but there are rules, issues and options to consider to best protect your retirement savings.
This month we look at the new proof-of-life certificates required for pensioners overseas, the launch of Australia’s first independent superannuation consumer advocacy organisation, the announcement of a major review of Australia’s retirement income system and an awareness campaign to help you stay safe online.Read more
Industry super funds continue to hold their edge over retail funds for member satisfaction, with Cbus rating highest.Read more
The government has announced very broad terms of reference for its inquiry into Australia’s retirement income system, which will trigger fresh debate about the planned future rises in the superannuation guarantee rate.Read more
The government’s new retirement incomes review will need to work quickly so it is completed (as recommended by the Productivity Commission) “in advance of any increase in the superannuation guarantee rate”.Read more
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing All Growth super funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. All Growth funds have 96-100% invested in growth assets.Read more
In this article you can discover the top 10 performing Balanced pension funds over 1 year and 10 years to 30 June 2021. Balanced funds have 41-60% invested in growth assets.Read more
Super funds continue to produce strong returns for their members in a difficult economic climate, with the median Growth fund up 1.7% in August for a cumulative return of 2.8% in the first two months of the financial year.Read more
It can be difficult for young adults to think long-term, but engaging your kids early can make a big difference to their future.Read more
Everyone likes to know how their financial position compares to others of the same age. It’s no different when it comes to your super account. But how can you find out how you compare with your peers and whether you are on track – or behind the pack?Read more
Wouldn’t it be great if you could see the real impact of fees on your super account? This calculator enables you to project a future super balance based on your current super balance, salary, age and desired retirement age.Read more
When it comes to the investment performance of your super account, funds love to talk about how much they have outperformed the index or benchmark. But what does that really mean? And what the heck is an investment index anyhow?Read more
Like it or not, investing to grow a retirement nest egg involves taking some risks. Super funds use a variety of strategies to help reduce the inevitable investment risks they face as they work to deliver good investment returns to their members.Read more
How to invest in infrastructure through a SMSF. We look at new ways of accessing this asset class.Read more
Running an SMSF can sound appealing when you start out, but as the years pass there are many reasons you may want out. So, what are the alternatives?Read more
Breaking up can be hard to do, it can also be financially costly. If you share an SMSF, then you will need to split your assets. Here’s what you need to know.Read more
Scams are on the rise and evolving all the time. We show you how to spot them and keep your money safe.Read more
When you retire, how you put your investment portfolio together is more important than ever if you want your retirement savings to last as long as you do.Read more
A government concession card to get cheaper health care can make a big difference to your retirement budget – and it’s not just for those on the Age Pension.Read more
If you are looking to wind back working hours or boost your super in the lead-up to retirement, a TTR pension may be the answer.Read more
More Australians are turning to financial coaching to build wealth. Here’s why.Read more
Preparing for retirement can be fraught, and keeping on top of your superannuation may not be front of mind. We take a look five of the common mistakes that pre-retirees make, and ways to avoid them.Read more
With property prices and the cost of living on the rise, more Australians are weighing up the advantages of retiring abroad.Read more
The laws that apply to your retirement savings can become more complex if you live or work overseas for any length of time. Here, we highlight some of the rules, issues and options that you need to consider to look after your retirement savings.Read more