One of SuperGuide’s more popular initiatives has been the development of a ‘Super for Beginners’ section that answers some of the many questions that we receive from those readers who are new to superannuation and new to super’s terminology.
The series currently consists of several lead articles, plus 27 Q&As, You can find each of the Super for Beginners articles published individually on the website, or by clicking on ‘Super for Beginners’ tab on the menu bar at the top of the SuperGuide website, or by typing ‘super for beginners’ in the search function (an example is SuperGuide article, Super for beginners: Top 10 must-know facts).
You can also find the 27 Q&As (belonging to the Super for Beginner series) as a handy list, set out below. The Super for Beginners Q&As have been updated and revamped for the 2017/2018 financial year (1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018), and also provides relevant information for the 2016/2017 financial year. Click on the listed question to access the SuperGuide answer.
Super for Beginners (Q&As)
How super works
- I’m new to Australia. Help me!
- I’m starting my first job. Do I get any superannuation, and where does it go?
- Why aren’t my super contributions tax-free?
- My child’s super account is hit with too many fees. Can you help?
- Is super my money, or the government’s money?
- Can I make concessional (before-tax) contributions while I am unemployed?
- Can I split my super benefits with my spouse?
- What happens to my super benefits when I retire?
- If I retire and take my super, can I return to work?
- Can I access my super early to reduce my mortgage?
- Is my super fund good enough?
- I withdrew my super due to financial hardship. Why do I have to pay tax?
- Why pick one industry super fund over another?
Super and tax
- Why does my super fund need my tax file number?
- What types of taxes are deducted from my super contributions and super benefits?
- I have heard I can get tax-free super benefits twice when I retire. Is that true?
- How is my super benefit taxed, and how does it all work?
- My employer hasn’t paid my SG. What can I do?
- My employer has gone broke. What happens to my SG entitlements?
Comparing super funds
More advanced super for beginners
- How do you speak superannuation (… in 20 words)?
- My pay changes every week. Am I paid the right super?
- Do I have to withdraw my super when I turn 65?
- Is super tax-effective if I am earning less than $37,000?
- How is tax deducted from salary sacrifice super contributions?
- Do I receive tax-free super when starting a pension just before turning 60?
For more Super for Beginners topics, see the following SuperGuide articles: